Okay, I finished the bird mobile I wanted to make for littlest fishes bedroom. It was a bit trickier than I thought it would be to balance the sticks and have everything hanging nicely but i got there in the end.
Making the birds was easy as I used the free pattern from Spool sewing's website and just added some felt wings as I thought they looked a little bare. And I actually managed to make a nest though the one I put on the mobile wasn't the one I made from the fabric scraps.
I decided to use wool for the mobile one as I liked the way in which the first one was made but wasn't happy with the finished look. So I made up the wool one in exactly the same way but it looked a bit more like a nest. I might put on a quick tutorial on how to make the nest as it was really easy and is fun to do.
I lined the nest with some speckledy feathers and put some "eggs" in the nest. (they were actually silk worm cocoons that were dyed a nice bright red.
I started off using wire to attach the birds to the sticks but that got a bit messy and they weren't staying put in their spots, they kept slipping around the stick.
so I tried the hot glue gun instead and that seemed to work quite well. I still used wire to string the branches together and hold the nest on. All in all it was a good project to try and it looks pretty hanging in her room.